Thursday, March 22, 2012

The Verse I Wish Did Not Exist

If there's one verse I wish weren't in the Bible, it's I John 1:9, "If we confess our sins He is faithful and just to forgive us and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." For 34 YEARS it kept me thinking that I am only righteous as I confess each and every sin. WRONG! The acknowledgment of my sin and my need for Jesus is what cleansed me THE DAY I GOT SAVED. From that point on, my righteousness is NOT dependent on ME, ever again! It is my faith in Jesus' finished work that cleanses me now, NOT my confession! (I John 1:7) This is why the gospel is GOOD NEWS and because of it, daily I fall more more deeply in love with Him :) 
I believe this verse was written to non-believing, but "hearing" Jews who needed to understand their sin and their need of a Savior. I understand now that it does not mean that believers have to confess every sin in order to be cleansed. There is nothing wrong with confessing sin or taking responsibility, for sure; but the act of confessing each sin no longer cleanses, and we have to be careful. The verse before this says "...if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another and the blood of Jesus His Son cleanses us from all sin." This cannot mean, "If we walk in the light (walk without sin) as He is in the light, then...His blood cleanses us." Studying the Interlinear Bible text (original Greek) and Young's Literal Translation, as mentioned above, the verse more accurately refers to the initial understanding and acceptance of the GOOD NEWS/gospel, which is that Jesus released us from the law (earning our own righteousness by consciousness and confession of sin) and freely, by grace, took every sin so that we might reign in life through His righteousness. In other words, I think I John 1:8-9 refers to one's initial salvation, NOT one's daily life. Amazingly, as we accept His finished work, we reign in life, dead to the sin that once held us captive. THANK YOU, JESUS, FOR YOUR SACRIFICE.

No comments:

Post a Comment