Friday, October 21, 2011

Moving Mountains

"And Jesus answered them, "Truly I say to you, if you have faith and never doubt, you will not only do what has been done to the fig tree, but even if you say to this mountain, 'Be taken up and cast into the sea,' it will be done.  And whatever you ask in prayer, you will receive, if you have faith."  Matthew 21:21

We were reading Matthew 21 in our homemeeting not long ago, and I shared that this verse always bothers me.  My first reaction is always, "Well, then I'll never move mountains, because I know I would always have doubt for something like that."  We got to discussing it in the light of grace.  I was gently reminded that, even though these were words of Jesus, He had not yet died, He had not yet freed His people from the burden of obedience as the key to blessing.  Jesus was talking to Jews who were only familiar with the do's and don'ts of the old covenant.  Quite likely, we discussed, He knew his disciples would probably whisper the same objections amongst themselves as I did, every time I read it:  "Well, if it takes me not doubting to do what He's doing, I know I'll never be able to do it!"  Which, most likely, is exactly the response Jesus wanted them to have.  Patiently, over and over again, He is teaching them the futility of the law and obedience to it.  He is letting them realize how worthless their own self-efforts at righteousness are.

It is the first time I have understood this verse, ever!  It is the first time I did not whip myself for not being able.  Of course I'm not able.  But (obviously) He is!  My righteousness is not because of anything I have done or deserved.  It is a free gift, imparted to me, and as I accept it, I understand that "In Him I live and move and have my being!"  (Acts 17:28)   If I am ever to do a miracle, it must be by relying on His strength, His ability, His right standing with God.  It's not about me!  That's how I know, if I ever need it to be, any mountain in my life will be moved!

No comments:

Post a Comment