Friday, October 21, 2011

Why Fasting Works

I have studied fasting and wondered so many times if it is a key to answered prayer, and if so, why?  This much I know, that nothing we do, including fasting, forces God to do anything.  I have also considered that fasting may be an act that makes the person fasting more "spiritually sensitive", so that s/he can receive more easily from God.

The latter may be somewhat true, but after much thinking and praying, I think it is this:  Fasting is usually not easily done by any of us.  Hunger is a powerful, natural motivator, and so many of us have found that, good intentions aside, we succumb to the temptation to eat, even if we really don't want to.

However, when one actually does fast, it is because the matter at hand is critically important to us.  It is more important than satisfying and pleasing our own selves.  So we deny ourselves "pleasure" for a greater cause--which, I think it boils down to, is love.  Fasting works because it is an act of love.  "There is no greater love than this, but that you lay your life down for another."  (John 15:13)  A few verses later, Jesus says "...I appointed you that you should go and bear fruit and that your fruit should abide; so that whatever you ask the Father in My name, He may give it to you.  This I command you, to love one another."  (John 15:16-17)  I rest my case!

No comments:

Post a Comment