Friday, October 21, 2011

Scared of Being Sick

I'm ashamed to say that I have done this more than once:  having some weird symptom in my body, though I try not to do it, it's easy to begin to wonder if what I have is something major and/or incurable.  If I let my thoughts and my mind go, I can really begin to fear that I could be in for a battle for my very life!  Sadly, I've pictured what it would be like to slowly succumb...how I'd tell my children and my friends...how I'd come to grips with leaving this earth before I was ready.

I'm certainly not making light of anyone who has dealt with such things and found out that he or she is, indeed, dying.  But, thank God, each time this has happened to me, research on the internet or self-testing of some sort has convinced me that my fears were unfounded.

I know not everyone believes God heals today.  But whenever I have been in such a fear-gripped situation, turning to the Word has been my hope and my comfort.  I particularly love Isaiah's prophetic vision of Jesus in Isaiah 53:4:  "Surely He has borne our sicknesses and carried our pains!"  We discussed "surely" in our home group and found that it means "without question".  I love that!  Without question He has borne my sicknesses!"  Yes!  So I won't question if He has! I also love Psalm 103:2-5:  "Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all His benefits:  Who forgives all my iniquity, Who heals all my diseases, Who redeems my life from the Pit, Who crowns me with steadfast love and mercy, Who satisfies me with good as long as I live, so my youth is renewed like the (strong and majestic) eagle's!"

Oh, God is good, yes He is!  "When I am afraid, I put my trust in Thee."  (Psalm 56:3)  No matter what, even if there comes a day when I really do have to face a real threat to my life, His Word gives me hope and comfort.  I love You, Lord, so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment